The Cape Columbine Lighthouse is situated approximately 5 kilometres from the picturesque fishing village of Paternoster on the West Coast. There is a 3-kilometre dirt road that leads to the lighthouse, and a special vehicle is not required. It was commissioned on 1 October 1936, and derives its name from the barque Columbine that ran aground there on 31 March 1829. It is a 15-metre-tall square masonry tower painted white, with a red lantern house. The character of the light is one flash every 15 seconds, and it burns at an intensity of 5 040 000 candelas.
The Danger Point Lighthouse is approximately 10 kilometres from Gansbaai, a small fishing village on the Atlantic side of Cape Agulhas. It was commissioned on 1 January 1895, and was named for the small peninsula on which it is situated. It was here that the HMS Birkenhead struck an uncharted rock in 1852, and sank with 445 souls on board. The lighthouse is an 18.3-metre-tall octagonal masonry tower painted white, fitted with a white lantern house and red dome. The light is a group flashing 3 every 40 seconds, and it burns at an intensity of 1 700 000 candelas.
The Cape St Blaize Lighthouse is situated in Mossel Bay, a popular coastal town along the famous Garden Route. There is a short dirt road that leads to the lighthouse, and a special vehicle is not required. It was commissioned on 15 March 1864, and was named for the Portuguese Saint Blaize (Sao Bras). The lighthouse is a 14.3-metre-tall square masonry tower painted white with a white lantern house. The light is a group flashing 2 every 15 seconds, and it burns at an intensity of 1 350 000 candelas. The lighthouse is situated above a cave that has Middle Stone Age archaeological deposits dating back 200 000 years, and signs of more recent occupation by the pre-colonial Khoi people.
The Great Fish Point Lighthouse is situated near the mouth of the Great Fish River, about 25 kilometres from the coastal holiday resort of Port Alfred. There is a 5-kilometre dirt road that leads to the lighthouse that can be challenging after rainfall, and a vehicle with high ground-clearance is advantageous but not essential. It was commissioned on 1 July 1898, as a result of the development of a harbour at the mouth of the river. The lighthouse is a 9-metre octagonal masonry tower painted with alternative vertical black and white strips, white lantern house with red dome. The light flashes once every 10 seconds, and burns at an intensity of 5 000 000 candelas.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL US: